Sunday, February 27, 2011

The Wild, Wild West

What a difference some newly learned skills have made!  I am taking a wonderful on-line workshop taught by Deryn Mentock.  What is so awesome about this class is that we are learning to build sturdy, well-designed pieces.  To show you what I mean, here are some photos of the same necklace that I built on my own (before I took it apart):
I made a beaded, macrame chain that I liked well enough, but I didn't love it.  Then the macrame slipped, exposing the beading wire, so the whole thing ended up looking cheesy.  Also, since Deryn taught us a little about design, I see that the beads and the macrame are too busy and detract from the focal.
BEFORE
AFTER
In week 1, we learned how to make rosary-style links, S-links, jump rings, and clasps.  Here is a close-up of my rosary links:
And one of my clasp:
Here is my twisted, wrapped jump ring:
And my focal, made in Linda and Opie O'Brien's class:
Now that I have the skills to build something solid, the effect is much more polished and professional looking, don't you think!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

beautiful!

Oxana said...

BEAUTIFUL work!!!!

Unknown said...

Diane,

What talent you have! Beautiful work.

So fun to enjoy learning something new and see the results right away.

Kudos to you!

Laura

Lynn Cohen said...

Wonderful stuff! Such fun.